I like my money right where I can see it - hanging in my closet. ~ Sex and the City

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Week 7: On the road to success

I have come to the end of the blog for school and from the first day until now much has changed. I can attribute much of this to those who are reading because one of the thing that I keep telling myself is "If I post that I splurged on this, everyone will be disappointed and they will all know that I keep failing." Your eyes kept me from failing.

When mapping out my original plan for this, it did include having my flight book at the end of the blog which I have done, along with paying off other debts which I have almost finished and saving money for the trip. I have yet to save a significant amount of money, but I am getting there. I have been talking to a friend of mine that has just in the past week arrived home from a week in London and she is giving me a tone of money saving tips for the trip, which I greatly appreciate.

This blog has opened the eyes of people who are close to me by encouraging me to save as much money as possible and make sure that I don't waste money on unnecessary things, which is greatly appreciated. Last Thursday Matthew took me to Chapters to pick out a book that he said he has heard a lot of amazing things about in the media and yes, Oprah. It is a book called "Smart Cookies Guide to Making More Dough and Getting Out of Debt." I thought it strange that he was buying such a book for himself, not only because all the smart cookies are women but also because he seemed pretty money savvy, I just assumed at this point that my bad habits had gotten to him. I was wrong, the book was for me, obviously! I have just begun by reading the "About Us" section describing all the girls and how they got where they are today and their backgrounds got to me. Two of the five girls are in their mid twenties and are in the public relations field. Both in very (I mean extremity) similar situations than me. I instantly fell in love and can't wait until school is taken care of so that I can really get into the book.

Now that I won't have this blog as an outlet I am glad that I have been given this book. It will teach me everything that I need to know to manage my money properly (as good as all my ideas were) and they are all proven tactics. Gotta love Matthew for looking out for me.

I look forward to my wealthy future and never feeling the need to spending even a dime!



Check out the Smart Cookies website! It is an amazing tool for anyone who needs to change their life around or even just save a few pennies here of there!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like a great book. I'll have to see if I have any Chapters gift cards left from Christmas! Yes, the money battle is a tough one, especially in these days of as much credit as you desire. But it's about taking care of yourself and realizing that you have more power with self-control. This is coming from an unemployed student who just bought a pair of $60 shoes for an event this weekend! Ah well, baby steps...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely have to look into this book. I don't have a very good track record for saving money, and I have found myself in some pretty bad situations because of it. I think you've done a great job and your success makes me want to try this whole "saving" thing... haha

    ReplyDelete